Thursday, May 17, 2018

'Bout Danged Time

Finally got the garden fully planted. Weird spring weather made it later than usual. Note my post from last spring when just the opposite was the case. Climate change is really making farming predictions tough. Made a few notable changes based on my extremely long learning curve. Chucked the potato boxes (well, not the boxes just the spuds). The weather was so cold so late I wasn't able to get my taters in the tubs before the eyes were two feet long. Spent a lot on those heirloom French fingerlings when I bought them from Seed Savers a couple of years ago. Oh well, when harvested, they weighed in at about five bucks per (and they were fingerlings, mind you.

So this is what I did instead: Herbs and onions. 

Herb box number 2.

Onions galore.
My salad greens and winter squash box (right). Note the lettuces in the back left that wintered over. In the left box, summer squashes (blue, green and yellow petit pans) and brassicas. Several varieties of chard as well that are too wee to see. Straight back of the salad box is an entire bed of garlic. A fantastic heirloom variety that I've grown for the past three years.
I finally added a border to the rather unsightly borderless patch of grass I had before. These were some nice and friggin' heavy limestone pieces taken out of the back yard when we built the new garage a couple years back.

This is what I mean about unsightly.
Much better me thinks. And a heckuva lot easier to mow.


No comments:

Post a Comment