Friday, April 8, 2016

Out With the Old, In With the New

I just received three of the five heirloom apple trees I ordered from Seed Savers in December of 2014. Two of the trees (Blacktwig and Knobbed Russet) had unsuccessful grafts and I'll have to wait until next year for those. The other three (Monarch, Sweet Brown, and Woodard) arrived safe and sound. These I planted yesterday, just in time for the torrential rains.

What is left of Doug, my Douglas fir, now reduced to firewood and waiting to dry out a bit then split.
This is the Monarch, and it will have a special place near the front door.
Had to dodge a few small roots left over from Doug. Not bad, though.  

Combined the rich loam with a little compost for aeration. Now I have only to wait five years for pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment