Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Six Feet Over

Planted my potato boxes yesterday, as well as the potatoes. Terraced and leveled each box into the hillside. These will remain until the apple trees (next to the white buckets) grow large enough to shade the area. Then, I'll have to find a new location (curbside, perhaps?). 
Each box will hold six 5-gallon pots, or five of the 7-gallon variety.



After I leveled each box, I dug a trough of soil up the middle. It's important to have the drain holes in the bottom of each bucket covered by soil as the roots will eventually find their way out through the holes in search of more nutrients.




I added about four inches of mulch to each pot, then planted three potatoes in each.


The top two boxes were planted with the Andean La Ratte white-skinned fingerling; the bottom will contain a red French fingerling (both from Seed Savers Exchange).




No comments:

Post a Comment