Monday, March 21, 2016

From Eyesore to Firewood: Chop, Chop.

I've been wanting to cut this 65-year-old Douglas fir (Doug, I like to call him) down for some time now. While it was healthy enough, it took a big hit during the ice storm of 1990, instantly becoming something of an eyesore. But now I have five semi-dwarf heirloom apple trees on the way from Seedsavers and I need a sunny place to plant them.
I hired Precision Tree Care because they were by far the cheapest. They also had the equipment to go over our porch roof and the beautiful bur oak in front.

I could have left it at Dr. Seuss, but it wasn't to be.

Almost there. Been nice knowing you, Doug.

Much better. Now but to move these last few logs to the back yard, split them, and let them cure for a couple of years before blowing them up the chimney in my Lopi fireplace insert

3 comments:

  1. It hurts to lose a tree, but those apple trees will be a fine replacement, and in better scale to the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts exactly, Marc. How the heck you been?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doing well, love tracking the progress you are making! Love to all!

    ReplyDelete